Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"This I Believe"

Tada! My essay, to be read aloud (by me) Friday night:

“I believe in doubt.” For some of us in the room tonight, these words sound familiar. It’s because they are the words with which Eddy Bismo*, a fellow ADS recipient, opens his Personal Statement. The Personal Statements that we’ve been reviewing in our ADS/UDS Program this past year.
“I believe in doubt,” says Eddy. He goes on to discuss how nothing is certain but uncertainty. He argues for the importance of continuous questioning, of unceasing cross-examination.
And I agree with Eddy. I believe in doubt. I believe that we must challenge perceptions. I believe that we must question authoritative knowledge. I believe in doubt.
But belief in doubt is a funny thing. Because, in order to believe in doubt, there is something in which one must believe first. And that is belief itself.
And so, tonight I say to you: I believe in belief.
I believe in belief. I believe in the power of faith as a motivator and a guide. I believe in the power of beliefs to shape the world and the people in it. And I believe in the power that belief has to make what was impossible before belief existed newly possible. I believe that, by believing something can happen, we gain the capacity to make it happen.
Fifty years ago, the majority of the world’s population did not believe that it was possible for man to walk on the moon. And, in 1960, it wasn’t. What made our walking on the moon in 1969 possible was the fact that someone doubted the belief that we couldn’t, that someone believed that we could. We live in a world today where man has walked on the moon because someone believed in this world. And from that belief this world was created. If no one had believed it, it would not have happened. I believe in belief.

I study peace and justice in Africa and the Middle East. And there are times when I wonder at the arrogance of myself. How many white liberals have come before me, wanting to make a difference in this region torn by conflict and ended up simply making a bigger mess of things. What on earth makes me think that I can do a bit of good?
The simple response is “nothing, really.” I’m not incredibly smarter than others who have gone before me. I’m not better prepared, better connected, better equipped. But somehow, I can’t help but believe that there is something I can do. Because I believe that the world is good. I believe that humanity is good. I have seen that beautiful spark that is mankind’s ability to love each other unconditionally. I have seen what joy that spark can bring. And I want nothing more in this life than to make that spark into a roaring inferno.
I am told that I am young and idealistic to think that this is possible. But one thing I know: So long as we believe that this is impossible, it is. There is too much stuff in the world for us to yet claim that anything is impossible. We have come too far to put a damper on dreams. I believe that it is possible for mankind to love her fellow man. I believe that peace in the Middle East is possible. I believe that ending prejudice in truth is possible. I believe it is possible to create a world of love.
I believe that, from our beliefs, come our reality. I believe that we can change our reality by changing our beliefs and that this is possible. Hard and difficult, yes. But possible. And worthwhile. This I believe.

*A pseudonym, since I haven't yet received permission to use this in the speech. And because posting it online is rather different than mentioning it in a closed room of like thirty people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was much impressed by your manifesto (Is that the right word?).I"m recommending it to many of my e-mail contacts.Uncle Al

Becca Farnum said...

Why, thank you. The things that can come out of my brain at 11 pm...
: )

Becca Farnum said...

And sure, we can go with "manifesto." It's a very fun word.

Charlie said...

Wonderful content. You clearly have awesome parents!

If you're bored, it could stand some polishing.

I doubt you should start with doubt. Start with you. Toss in Pepto Bismol* later if you want.

Everything else aside, I love and have always loved your dreams, little girl. And you are frighteningly good at accomplishing your visions.

*(TM). Use as directed. A pseudonym.