Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Thesis Discussion

So, another note about a potential thesis.
1. I will not be doing an additional major - they have nixed the double-counted Senior Seminar for International Relations and Comparative Cultures and Politics, so I do not have room for it, even without thesis.
2. Papa's suggestion for a thesis (writing down how all my multiple degrees and specializations fit) is really quite tempting. It's an excellent suggestion. However, I am not sure that a Madison Honors thesis is the best avenue for this. I could do a senior thesis in philosophy, women's studies, or religious studies on it. But these aren't really the best avenues either. Hmm...

To do the thesis, I previously thought that an independent study was simply a part of the Honors Program and could be on anything (and I was going to do it this summer on Israeli Women of Peace). Fun, but would cost me an extra $1000 or so. Zierler informed me today that the independent study is really supposed to help determine what your thesis is going to be, start creating a project proposal, etc. So I nixed this summer's independent study. I'm still going to be doing the research, though, and will make it into my anthropology capstone course I'm taking this fall with a professor I know well (director of the peace and justice studies program).

Which leaves me with 8 credits of fun to play with my senior year if I don't do a Madison thesis. Or the need to take a 3-credit independent study the summer before my senior year and figure out exactly what I want to write a thesis on. This idea of Papa's really is good...but I would really have to find a professor who could do it. I'm not sure. I haven't found said professor yet. I shall keep my eyes and ears open...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i truthfully love your own writing way, very remarkable,
don't give up as well as keep posting simply because it just worth to look through it,
excited to see way more of your current articles, kind regards ;)