Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Common Good Problem of Herd Immunity

Was reading an assignment for my PHL: Ethics of Global Public Health class. It was talking about the ethics of mandatory vaccinations. And it put herd immunity - the idea that when most people in a population have immunity, everyone's safe from it, for the most part (even the 2% or so who aren't immune), because the disease can't spread easily - into common good language. If most people are vaccinated, we get this "common good" of herd immunity. But those who don't get vaccinated (i.e., don't take the risk or engage in any cost) then become "free riders."
I love when I can use one class's concepts in another. Great stuff. At the end of the day, there are connections to my random academic interests.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I am a free rider!

It's not my fault that I don't get sick.