Monday, September 5, 2011

The Thumb

This weekend, I had my first experience in "The Thumb." My boyfriend's extended families have vacation houses in the "thumb" of the lower peninsula of Michigan, and we visited all around for Labor Day Weekend. I met his Mom and Stepdad in Lexington, Michigan, where we got to hear the local folk music festival. Then we drove up miles of beautiful Lake Huron shoreline to Port Austin, where we saw his father's extended family. Lots of fun and hilarity was had by all.
Because of the way the United Methodist Church is set up, I have done work almost exclusively in Western Michigan, and the west half of the mitten is the only place Dad has ever had churches. As a result, I've spent relatively little time on the eastern side of the Mitten. So this was my first time in the Thumb...I may be obsessed now, though.

No comments: