Friday, August 27, 2010

First Day of Work

GenCen was absolutely lovely. I got a tour of the pens, rubber bands, paper, and staples, of course. And then a walk through on the mail, vacuum, coffee pot, copier, and phones. And then got a chance to make my computer station a bit more homey. Changed my background to a picture of Jorgen, of course. And then cleaned out the desk shelves. They clearly hadn't been done in a while...there were papers with the office staff from 2007 and absolute ancient computer parts. I think that the "intern desk" became the "everyone's desk" and was used as a dumping ground for stuff people were too scared to throw away but didn't want cluttering up their space. But it's happily arranged now. Answered my first phone call and got to do the incredibly thrilling action of placing the caller on hold for our director.
Today was just training, technically, so it was pretty low-key. The real fun starts Tuesday, when I'm officially working!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you identified your project yet?
I was wondering if the have or need a web-site and if you could possibly develop or improve one for them?

Granna

If this is a repeat, I apologize; my computer is really slow, but I've been waiting a long time for confirmation that the first attempt posted.

Becca Farnum said...

Not a repeat. :)
They have a website; I will be working on that a bit.

Ta da, my proposal:
Rebecca Farnum
Proposed Project for Diversity and Global Change Undergraduate Internship
August 31, 2010

Topic: Teaching Gender and Sexuality

Project Details: I hope to create a series of Teaching Modules, arranged topically, exploring issues in gender roles and sexuality internationally. How do definitions of gender, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation differ between different cultures and regions? What methods and tools can be used to teach American students about gender and sex in a global perspective?
This project was prompted by a need I saw in my leadership with LBGT student organizations on campus. Group membership often expressed a desire to hold an event on a topic that the group leadership was unable to properly address. My goal with this project is to create an easy-to-use resource enabling interested individuals who do not have formal training or education on sexuality and gender issues to teach these issues.

Possible Topics Include:
• Asexuality
• Gender Roles in Various Geographic Regions and Cultures
• Heteronormativism
• Homophobia
• Sexuality and Spirituality
• Transgender Issues

Each Module will Include:
• Brief Introduction to the Issue
• Example Teaching Activities (worksheets, role playing scenes, etc.)
• Glossary of Relevant Terms
• Selective Annotated Bibliography of Further Resources

Charlie said...

I thought of many comments on this post related to producing grandchildren, but they all seemed inappropriate even to your warped papa. Consider them posted.