Friday, October 9, 2009

How does this happen?

Okay. I am definitely being assigned and recommended for random things by people. I just received the following email:

"Hello, Ms. Rebecca Farnum,
I am contacting you on behalf of Associate Provost Terry Curry to thank you for your willingness to serve on the All-University Awards Committee to select Excellence-in-Teaching Citations. We need only one representative for the college, and have asked your colleague to serve.
Since you will not be serving on the committee, I provide, for your convenience, below to be removed from your calendar:
1. Tuesday, October 20, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
2. And, Tuesday, November 10, 5:30 - approx. 8:30 p.m.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Betsy"

Well, Betsy, you're welcome. I had absolutely no idea I was invited/willing to do this. But okay. Though those time slots do actually work for me, so I could have done it. Shame...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that you should contact "Betsy". Perhaps you weren't chosen because you failed to respond to an earlier communique that you didn't receive. Let her know that you had heard nothing about this and don't want anyone to think that you would ignore such an important responsibility.
Granna

Becca Farnum said...

I don't think that's why I wasn't chosen, Granna. I think the names went into a nominating pool from the college, and she'd assumed that I had been told by the college prior to nomination. If she had contacted me earlier, there would have been a follow-up if response were needed. The university is used to people never checking their emails...