Friday, March 16, 2012

Islamic Awareness Week

Yesterday I wore a hijab as part of MSU's Islamic Awareness Week. People approach the hijab in a variety of ways, but the basic rules are to cover all parts of the body except the face and hands. For me, this meant a long-sleeve top, jeans, socks (I still wore flip-flops, though!), and a headscarf (tied myself - thanks, internet, for the tutorial!).
I had very few concerns about the day, since I wasn't going anywhere too exciting. (I had one class in James Madison College, a fairly liberal public policy college where most people are relatively educated about and open to religious and cultural diversity), a lunch meeting with a professor at a Middle Eastern restaurant (biggest concern there was feeling like a bit of a fraud!), and a meeting with a professor at a teahouse on Grand River.
Mostly, the day served as an opportunity to bring awareness and remind students about the many forms diversity takes. There were, however, a few rough moments.
I have Caucasian friends who are Muslims and wear hijab. I know of some people throughout the day who assumed they were experiencing hijab for a day, rather than truly Muslim. Don't judge a book by its cover!
People didn't stare or question...if anything, they didn't look at all. I think we have come too far in society along these lines. We know staring is rude, so we refuse to look at all. It was nearly impossible to make eye contact, people were overly apologetic if they bumped into me, etc. Part of this is nervousness, I think, and the simply worry that we don't know how to respond to people who seem different from the norm. But the truth is that we really have no idea how comfortable people are with eye contact, conversations with strangers, and the like from the way they appear. Again, don't judge a book by its cover!
By far the biggest concern I had was with (you'll never guess!)...certain feminists. I am a feminist. Let me make that very clear. I believe that men and women are equal and should be treated thusly by public policy and each other. I believe that a woman can do virtually everything a man can and vice versa (males and females biologically have some limits in reproductive areas, but that's about all). However, I also believe that empowerment, liberation, and the like take many forms. And I believe that Western feminists who argue very staunchly against things like the hijab without taking the time to recognize that it can, in some situations, be a powerful tool for women, not against them. To tell women they "can't" wear the hijab and believe in equality is to commit the same sin patriarchy does - assume you know what's best for another, attempt to improve someone else or show them their place.
Is the hijab a symbol of patriarchy in some situations? Yes. So are dresses, high heels, make-up, haircuts, bras, jeans...the list goes on and on. Can covering be used to try and control women? Yes. So can sex. And I don't think those same feminists would argue that sex should be completely done away with and is never empowering.
We live in a patriarchal world. Everything women do and associate with can and will be used in sexist ways by some people. But those same things can be used in very powerful, inspiring, liberating ways for others. What empowers you subjects another. Feminism is powerful and has a strong place in history. But feminists must be careful not to use their understandings of feminism to enslave other women to that view of the world. If we do, how are we any better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am proud to be your grandmother.

granna

Becca Farnum said...

And I am VERY proud to be your granddaughter. :)