Friday, June 10, 2011

MANDY PATINKIN!!

My hosts in DC and I got to go see Mandy Patinkin in concert tonight. (Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride, among many other wonderful things.) Mandy's always great in concert - he sings mostly Broadway stuff (Becca's favorite) with some other fun melodies mixed in. Tonight I got to chant "trouble" while he sang "Trouble Right Here in River City" from The Music Man...and he suddenly turned political and subbed in "Bernie Madoff" for "Harold Hill." Sheer brilliance.
And he sang "Cat's in the Cradle," which always makes Gregory and I cry. But this time it was worse - because we had a special appearance by his son Gideon, who sang it with him. They then sang several others together and were thoroughly adorable.
Nothin' better to make the world seem like a wonderful place than some good ol' showtunes!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, little girl. Where was the show?

mom

Becca Farnum said...

The Strathmore, a lovely place near Grosvenor. Gorgeous auditorium with fabulous acoustics.

ac said...

thoroughly jealous that you got to see him. i enjoyed him in criminal minds and princess bride.
miss you bunches.
-christie

Anonymous said...

Did you see daniel Radcliff on the Tony Awards doing "Brotherhood of Man" from How to Succeed" ? I was unexpectedly impressed. Neil Patrick Harris did an outstanding job on the opening and closing numbers although I wonder what the GLBT community thought of "Broadway's not only for gays anymore" Uncle Al

Becca Farnum said...

He did a great job, I thought.
NPH is allowed to say anything he likes.
:)

Anonymous said...

Well, I liked the number with Hugh!

Didn't Al watch last year when NPH also did an outstanding job?
granna

Charlie said...

"Cat's in the Cradle" makes you cry? Now I feel like a lousy father. (Although it makes me cry and my father is not at all lousy, so I shall attempt to stop feeling guilty.)

Becca Farnum said...

"Cat's in the Cradle" does not make me cry because of you, Papa.
Let's think about how many things make me cry.
Let's think about how few of those things are in any way your fault, even if they have something to do with fathers.
...
Okay.
I think you're good.
:)