Thursday, January 20, 2011

Woohoo!

My Women and Power paper won a competition:

I am very pleased to be able to tell you that your paper "Feminists in Fundamentalism: Orthodox Jewish Women and Empowerment" has won the Mary Anderson award for best paper on women and gender in a global context. The committee was impressed by both your original research and the complex feminist analysis that your applied to your case study. We hope very much that you will be able to attend the GenCen reception on January 28 from 3-5, as we will be announcing your receipt of the award at that time. We also hope that you will be willing to present your paper at our Undergraduate Research Showcase on April 1. Because you are our award-winner, you will not have your paper reviewed for inclusion, but you will need to register for the event. Just let us know whether or not you will choose to present at the conference.

Please email me back, confirming your attendance at the reception and notifying me as to whether you would like to present your work at the conference on April 1st. I look forward to seeing you both soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well!! Very nice, little girl; congratulations.
Did you know your paper was entered in this competition, or did the prof. do that?
I'm guessing you'll manage both to attend the reception, and to present at the forum April 1.

xoxoxoxox
mom

Becca Farnum said...

I entered it.
:)
But the prof emailed just after this congratulating me and my co-author.
I will be attending the reception (as I am working during it) and also present at the Forum (as I am helping to run it).

Anonymous said...

Who is your co-author??

kjf

Becca Farnum said...

A girl in my class; they were mandatory group research papers.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! To you and your partner.
One hopes that she really did work on this, not like some partners in past situations.

Granna

Becca Farnum said...

She did a great deal of work; it was truly a co-authorship.
:)

Charlie said...

W00t!